Friday 2 January 2009

..an opportunity for learning...

So the 2 hour swim didn't quite go to plan today. The set length time of 31 seconds was achievable for the first 8 minutes before I started to drop behind the pace setter so a little work needed on my swim speed. I guess that's the point of training..!

What I did learn was that the first 15oom are the hardest for me. After that I settled ino a good rhythm and with a slower pace, I can honestly say that I found it relaxing - maybe this was due to me finding the regular pace and the regular breathing kind of hypnotic, allowing me to free think about all sorts of things, family, work, some nice places in the world I want to visit sometime, you get the idea..!

Another good thing to find out is that my home made energy drink really seems to work when taken every 30 minutes throughout the swim. I found that allowing 60 seconds per half hour gives me enough time to take on 30g of carbohydrate drink - time will tell if this strategy will work over longer swim times. If anyone wants the recipe and the recommended strategy for using it, just ask - it was recommended by the chief nutritionist for the 2008 British Olympic Triathlon Team in Beiging. We were lucky to have him attend out triathlon club and present a seminar on race nutrition.

The next step is to find my first member of my pit crew to record the number of lengths swum over 2 hours so I can gain a more accurate picture of my pace. This should be interesting..!!

Tomorrow's plan is to get a morning of cycling in with my team mates - can't let my planned 1/2 Ironman race in June get neglected can I..??

No comments:

Post a Comment